Wednesday 1 February 2012

Blue Rose Top: Revisited

One thing I wanted to do this year was to try and refashion some of my handmade clothes that hadn't worked.  One of the main culprits is my Blue Rose top which I've only worn once.  I made it last spring using a rose print poplin.  Now I love floral fabric, especially if it has roses on it and doubly especially if it has blue roses on it.  I don't know why, but blue rose prints just make me beam with happiness!  Fabric this beautiful needs to be worn and shown off.  So I decided to make this top work.

The pattern was a vintage one - Advance 8589 - which looked so chic on the pattern envelope….  
I should have known better.  This is what didn't work: 

The drawstring
Although this is a lovely feature, it made me feel like I was pregnant, I'm just not comfortable with this amount of excess fabric around my waist!

The boxy shape
Yes I know, it has to be boxy in order for the drawstring to work, but this was almost wider than it was long!

The length
Far too short, making it wearable with only the very highest waistbands.

The one other thing that stopped me wearing this top originally was the neckline.  I hated the neckline, as I kept feeling I was choking to death.  However, since then, I've had thyroid surgery and it seems it was my thyroid that was the cause of my choky, strangling feeling.  Trying the top on again recently, the neckline didn't bother me at all, and is actually a lovely, elegant shape.  So the neckline stayed the same.

If I'm honest, I pretty much made this up as I went along, refashioning not being one of my strong points.  Once the drawstring was removed, the main priority was to give some shape to the boxiness.  
Front darts added, but still short and squat

TONS of excess fabric at the back
I moved the bust darts which were strangely high, (I hadn't even noticed this the first time around) and added contour darts to the front and back.  The only solution to the short length was to add an extra panel.  I added a three inch strip around the bottom, luckily, I think the busy rose print just about allows you to get away with it. 
In order to get the top on and off, I inserted an invisible zip right down the back.  
A bit wonky, but at least most of the bagginess has disappeared
As there was a bit of fabric left over, I made another 1950's style headband from the Chic on a Shoestring book.  

It's not quite as wide as my last one, and I think it looks better for it.  I even managed to attach a lovely vintage buckle which Miss P very kindly sent me.  

It was quite a rigmarole making this top fit, but I think it was worth it.  It's by no means perfect, but it's much more 'me' now, and at least it's wearable.  Not on its own at the moment though - it's currently FREEZING here in the UK.  
The lengths sewing bloggers will go to for a photo - you can almost see the goosebumps on my arms!
Because it's sleeveless it's perfect to wear underneath a cardigan.  There, much more suitable… 

Next up for a refashion - my Swing Dress - which needs a few tweaks.  Happy Wednesday everybody. x

37 comments:

  1. This is a great revisit, and well worth it - that fabric is lovely. And see, you can re-fashion! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did really well to revisit this top. The new one is so cute, and can be worn with many more things. I love that print. So fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That really is lovely fabric Jane I'm glad you were able to rescue it. The all new versions is so much more flattering.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great refashion, I admire you revisiting older projects like this. It's very inspiring and something I should think of doing! It was so worth it too Jane, that top suits you beautifully now and I love the matching hairband!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks amazing! I'm so impressed with your refashion. I usually just put my failures into the "donate" pile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was tempted, but I couldn't bear to because the fabric was so lovely! x

      Delete
  6. Bravo!!! I've been meaning to go through my "not quite perfect" stash of clothes and see what I can rework. I love how the little tweaks (and additions) made the blouse far more wearable. Love it layered under the green cardi!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really love what you have done to this top - it is so so flattering on you!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is really pretty! So much more "you" with the fitted shape. It is an entirely differnt garment now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah, I love the shaping you get from a good dart. That fabric is just gorgeous - I'm glad you were able to salvage it into something more "you" :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous revamping here! I always enjoy your posts but its the first time Ive commented. I do think that sometimes the vintage patterns dont reflect the current shape of women - if they ever did in their day either to be honest!! The proportions on that pattern look really out to me but thankfully youve sorted the beautiful top to suit you so much better!
    Very lovely fabric too!
    Keryn x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting Keryn! I agree - I know women did have tiny waists in the olden days but surely not as tiny as some vintage patterns depict! x

      Delete
  11. It looks great, and goes really well the green cardigan. I love the hairband, very snazzy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an awesome refurbishment. It looks terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great work! I really love that fabric and the sleeveless + cardigan combination.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Another sewing victory! So cute :-D And you're so right about sleeveless things being best under cardigans. I have a small cardigan addiction . . .

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Jane, fab refashion.. Love the new version xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh well done! Ironically, the original didn't look at all vintage, but the remake has a much more distinctive and designery style to it, I love it. And wow it looks amazing under that chartreuse cardigan too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you! Ooh chartreuse, that's far more glamorous sounding than green! x

      Delete
  17. Great job! I think the original comes much higher up, and the drawstring would have worked there. Still a hard look to carry off though - this is much better.

    ReplyDelete
  18. it is a terrible shame when something doesn't work out,lets face it we chose fabric put in the effort! At least now you have a fantastic looking top and yes a little short for the weather!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Jane, this is a fantastic remake.I love roses too..red is my favorite, but love this blue.. You have a really pretty blouse now.. Know you will enjoy it..

    ReplyDelete
  20. yes, much more flattering. no one looks good with a drawstring.

    ReplyDelete
  21. To refashion old so-so makes is a great idea! So much better than abandoning them in the closets. Your top looks great and super flattering.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great,awesome and innovative work! I like it.Thank for this awesome post.Jane you are looking gorgeous. Get such a beautiful handmade clothing online by visit us at http://www.freshseams.com/.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow! The changes are great! Good on you for making the effort, and not resorting to the charity bin!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great re-fashion, much more flattering and such a cute top. Love the colour combo and the fabric - is it from Liberty?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The fabric is actually from John Lewis - but quite a while ago now. There is a Liberty print that's very similar though. x

      Delete
  25. I love this top, it looks great, well worth the rigmorole:)

    ReplyDelete
  26. super cute, Jane. well done!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I hate it when I'm stymied by super elongated fashion models looking incredibly chic in the exact same garment that after all the effort and great fabric choices I've made, looks a mess on my real-world curves and proportions LOL. Way to go on saving this one, it looks great on you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Jane, there's something I hate about the prospect of re-making something I had high hopes for, that became dashed. It's an even bigger effort somehow. So I know what you mean about it being a rigmarole, but you did it & it's so worth the effort if it means you'll actually wear it & are happy again. Yay! It looks great - I agree that it looks much better with darts & a bit more length. Drawstring waists suit some people, but I am not one of them, maybe for the same reasons as you! Hurrah!

    ReplyDelete
  29. What an amazing refashion! It fits you like a dream. I think its so much harder to go back and rectify something that didn't quite work over making something from scratch. Proper dedication! x

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love your refashion of this pattern. Amazing how a good fit can change the whole appearance of a garment. At first I thought the first generation of your shirt looked really nice, but generation two looks way better. The darts and better fit make you look as though went down a size. Version one made you look 15-20 lbs heavier. The 2nd one looks more tailored and shows of your cute shape. Interesting how darts can enhance the look of a garment, and showcase our bodies in a better light.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...